Friday, December 5, 2008

What Does John Piper Believe?

If you have been on this blog a little, you'll notice that I quote certain pastors and post a lot of their resources a lot. Of course, my aim in doing this is NOT to exalt them, and I firmly believe that none of these men would be glad if my end-all was to glorify them. Yes, we can and should honor pastors (especially our own personal pastors, who pour countless unseen hours into the church and into their sermons and into our lives! Thank your pastors!), but the reason we should be grateful for them is because God has placed them in our lives and given them the boldness and clarity to preach the Truth of the Bible to our hearts and souls!

With all that being said, here is a short transcript on what John Piper preached at The Evangelical Theological Society (ETS) on November 20, 2008. This is, in a nugget, what John Piper believes, and it is the foundation (at least from what I've heard and read so far) for everything he preaches and writes and studies. Check it out if you are curious to see who John Piper is, and don't forget—let's be Bereans (Acts 17:10-11)! Search the Bible yourself to see if these things are true; wisdom is worth nothing if it is not the wisdom of God (1 Corinthians 1:20-21).

And, if you are intrigued by this and would like to study it in more depth, I would highly recommend that you read Desiring God (it is available for purchase at a very reasonable price, and available in pdf format online for free). I am only on chapter 3, but I am convicted, delighted, and mentally taxed by every sentence! Another great read, I have heard, is Don't Waste Your Life (it is also available for purchase as well as for free); it is based on the same principle as that of Desiring God, and I believe it is aimed at a more personal, applicational level. But, like I've said, I haven't read it, but people I know and respect have, and they've loved it! I myself would love to read it over Christmas break… along with about ten thousand other books! Hahaha.

No comments: