Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Fireproof


The movie Fireproof came out on DVD today!

I am excited because this Christian film will have the chance to impact many people-- many more than it has already impacted in theaters. It is the story of a young married couple, a fireman and his wife, who are struggling through their marriage. The main character must learn what love truly is if he is to salvage his dying marriage (Romans 5:8)… I wholeheartedly recommend this movie to any who have not seen it!

I love the Scriptural truths that fill this movie, and I truly and greatly appreciate that Fireproof gives a clear gospel message. I must admit that I have not seen many Christian films, but I have not been very impressed with their presentation of the gospel, or their inclusion (or lack the thereof) of how that gospel message should affect their characters' metamorphoses. I feel that too often Christian films glaze over the gospel, which is ridiculously ironic, because if it were not for that precious Truth, there would be no need, desire, or basis for Christian movies! Isn't the very purpose of the Christian film industry to open doors to reach the lost, as well as to strengthen and encourage believers to live out what it means to be a Christian?

Why does this bother me so much? Because the gospel should be the most important thing in our lives as Christians—Let's follow Paul's example when he says that the gospel is the MOST important thing in his life (1 Corinthians 15:3-5)! And I admit that, like many Christian movies, I leave out the very basis for my existence when I go out into the world, and even when I am in my own home. But I don't want to just sit and ponder what my life might be like if the gospel truly permeated everything I believed, said, and did… I want to go, and by the power of the Holy Spirit, live out the gospel in my life, as a testimony to the glory of Jesus Christ and of God the Father!

No comments: